Thursday, February 4, 2010

More British vs. American stuff

In England:                                   In America:
crisps                                               chips
going to the toilet                            going to the bathroom
what's your bit in the play?             what's your part in the play?
are you alright?                               hi, how are you?
cheers                                              bye
G.P. (general practitioner)               doctor
on the phone--please press hash      on the phone--please press pound
the States                                         America, US, USA
the Continent                                   Europe
coach                                               bus
pavement                                         sidewalk

& here when you dial the phone it rings like "rrrr..rrrr.    rrrr..rrrr.   rrrr..rrrr" while in the US it is just "ring.  ring.  ring."

& if there is an emergency you have to dial 999 here, instead of 911.

& in my school lots of kids speak French for their first language, and English for their second.  And some of the kids speak Hindi and Arabic, and some of their moms wear burqas.  And the school bully is really small and no one is really afraid of her, but she is mean.

Yesterday I stayed afterschool and helped with a fundraiser for Haiti by buying cakes and sharing them with my friends, Connor and Freya, at board games club.  Then Freya came over and played for hours and ate dinner with my mom and I, then we walked her home.  Today, my mom was in the town where Shakespeare was born, so I went home afterschool with Imo and got to go to dance class with her, and play with her little brother and sister who are twins.  Tomorrow night I get to have my second sleepover at Freya's house & I'm really excited.  Then Saturday, my Opa Duz is coming to Oxford for a week.

Still don't have a working camera, but soon.

Love, Naya

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! You will get to show Opa around your new home and introduce him to all your friends.

    ReplyDelete