Saturday, January 23, 2010

Going to build a telescope in the History of Science Museum today

I get to go learn about Galileo today in a big, fancy museum that has some of Einstein's work in it, and many other scientists.  We are going to build our own telescope during a Saturday workshop for 9 year olds.  My mum and I just looked up Galileo and found this:


Galileo was born in Italy in 1564 and helped the world understand and finally believe that the earth moved around the sun and not the other way around (Copernicus' theory) with his own telescopes that let him see Venus, and also Jupiter's moons.



This is the building I'll be in.  It is right next to the Bodleian library, and also next to our favorite bookstore in Oxford, Blackwell's, that has a winding staircase and goes up four floors.  The children's section is on the ground floor and has lots of books that the Whitefish bookstore has and lots of books that it doesn't.  We'll probably get some cocoa there and an almond croissant after my workshop.



This is a picture of Einstein's blackboard from a lecture he gave in Oxford in 1931.

I hope you have a fun Saturday too.

Love, Naya

No comments:

Post a Comment