Monday, January 18, 2010

Some things that are different in England

Mrs. Argabright asked me what words are different in England and since we got here my mom and I have been trying to keep a list of words that are different than in the US.  These are some of them:

US                                           England

hot lunch                               school dinner
garbage                                 rubbish
sled                                       sledge
my dear, honey, sweetie       my love
sweets or treats                     sweeties
snowplow/sand truck           gritters
erasers                                  rubbers
tennis shoes/sneakers           trainers
head to toe                            top to toe
trash can                               bin
bye                                       cheers
jello                                      jelly
jelly/jam                               jam
cream/half & half          clotted cream
mom, mommy                     mum
roundtrip ticket                    return trip
one way ticket                     single trip


I also have a weekly spelling test every Tuesday and have to spell things differently like

color    is    colour
favorite is   favourite
analyze is   analyse

And here they use feet and inches, but they also sometimes use the metric system like meters, cm, mm.  They use miles/hour though and not km/hour.  They use centigrade instead of fahrenheit for temperature.

And they drive on the opposite side of the road.  And the driver sits where our front passenger sits.

We went swimming yesterday and got to drive there in a really fancy bus.  I had to do a test to show how I swim and I got put in the higher level.  Which was hard because I had to learn to swim with my face in the water and then just lift my face to take a breath.  And I got to wear my new pink swim cap, but not my goggles, since they don't allow that.

Last night I joined a drama club and guess what!?  We get to study/practice our play each week at Magdalen College (the fancy college of Oxford University that I want to go to).  We are going to put on Shakespeare's As You Like It in ten weeks of practice.  Last night I got to be Rosaline and had to pretend I was in love with this ten year old boy.  It was embarrassing and fun.  I'm the only one with an American accent.

I'll try to think of more things that are different, and when I get a new camera I'll take more pictures again and put them on my blog.

Have a great week!

Love, Naya

No comments:

Post a Comment